Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 4

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a blessed day :)

Today's verses are Genesis chapter 7, 8, 9:1-7; Psalm 3:1-8; Proverbs 1:8-9; and Matthew 4:1-20.

In Genesis they were talking about Noah's time on the ark and how it rained for 40 days and 40 nights. I suppose I'm a bit biased because I already know the story of Noah's Ark and it actually brought back a memory that I had from the 2nd grade when were learning our multiplication tables, so I thought I would share it with you all (know that this is just for entertainment purposes and in are not completely accurate accounts of what happened on Noah's Ark so please be sure to read the verses)


Now I really enjoyed reading Psalm 3:1-8. It basically stated how the Lord protects us from our enemies and how we shouldn't be afraid of them because we have God on our side. It also reminded me of how in this day and age people like to say they have "haters" :)

Proverbs 1:8-9 are basically some instructions on listening to your parents because their words of wisdom will help as you face similar situations.

Matthew 4:1-20 I enjoyed reading the most! It was when Jesus was in the wilderness fasting for 40 days and 40 nights and the Devil came to tempt him. Every attempt the Devil made to persuade Jesus, He came back at the Devil with a scripture...every time. However, the Devil was cunning and he too came back at Jesus quoting scriptures as well. I think this is very important because it shows how crafty the enemy is and how we must know for ourselves what God's word say because the enemy could throw some things that sound good towards you but in order to know the difference, we must study and learn for ourselves so will be able to face the enemy when the time comes and won't be fooled by their temptations.

After reading the verses there was a passage about how some people don't feel as if the Devil is an actual entity and feel that he is merely an influence that causes us to do sinful things. I found this very interesting because earlier in the day my friend and I were having a similar conversation along the lines of whether or not the Devil was an actual being or do we (as people) invent him ourselves to take the blame for when we do something wrong (i.e.-"the Devil made me do it"). This passage just confirm that he is indeed a being and we need to be prepared when it comes to dealing with him and know that he can come at us in any shape or form.
(Please note that when I refer to the Devil as a "he" don't take it to mean that as a male figure. As stated before the Devil may appear in any form that we may find pleasing)

Prayer
Father, help me see that the first step in spiritual warfare is to "know the enemy." For until I know and understand my enemy, I will not be able to defeat him. Deepen my knowledge of these important truths, I pray. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Further Study
1 John 3:1-8; Hebrews 2:14; John 12:30-31
Why was Jesus made manifest?
What did He declare?

I hope everyone continues to have a great week. Be blessed :)

(Both the prayer and further study have come from the Everyday with Jesus Bible: A One-Year Reading Bible by Holman Bible Publishers with Devotions by Selwyn Hughes)

No comments:

Post a Comment