Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 2

Hello everyone. I hope you all had a blessed Sunday. Today's verses are Genesis chapters 3 and 4, Psalm 2:1-6, Proverbs 1:5-6 and Matthew 2:1-23.

I really don't have any individual comments about each book like I did yesterday because for the most part each of the verses dealt with the how God deals with sin. While reading this I felt kinda bad because it made me think about actions and consequences when we do something wrong. It made me think of when I was little and did something wrong and how my parents had to punish me. There were times when my parents would even say "this is gonna hurt me more than it hurts you," at the time I would be thinking "you must be out of your mind because there is no way that's possible."

I'm sure that God feels the same way when we sin and he has to punish us. I'm sure it hurts Him as well because He loves us but that is why He punishes us because of the sin. God cannot tolerate sin so in order to keep us safe, He does His best to eliminate the sin from our lives. Even though we may not understand it at the time God indeed is doing this for our own good.

Prayer
O Father, what a change comes over me when I realize Your wrath is not so much directed at persons as at the sin that demeans and destroys them. You are not against me for my sin, but for me against my sin. I am deeply grateful. Amen.

Further Study
Psalm 5:1-6, 11:5; Habakkuk 1: 12-13; Zechariah 8:16-17
How did the psalmist express God's great intolerance?
What does the Lord hate?

That's pretty much all I have for my thoughts on these verses. Please feel free to add more.

Be blessed everyone :)

(Both the prayer and further study have come from the Everyday with Jesus Bible: A One-Year Reading Bible by Holman Bible Publishers with Devotions by Selwyn Hughes)

No comments:

Post a Comment