Saturday, December 25, 2010

Tis' the Season...but then what?

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! I'm enjoying this snowy Christmas afternoon with my family. We had a nice little devotional this morning in our living room and we all went around and gave our reflections on what Christmas means to us. One thing we all seemed to say was that people had forgotten the true meaning of Christmas and that was that Christ is a huge part of the word and without Him there would be no Christmas.

Even though some forget that Christ is a part of Christmas it isn't uncommon to see people saying that Jesus is the reason for the season...but is that only because the occasion calls for talk of Jesus. What about the reason of the year?

It's funny how people act once you say the name Jesus. I'm pretty sure there are many people who see that this blog is called 365 Days with Jesus and skip on over it. To me it seems like even mentioning Jesus anytime other than Christmas and Easter can be the equivalent of water getting on a black woman's hair. It's like Kryptonite! I'm serious, try mentioning Jesus around some people or let it start raining around some black women....in both cases they'll head for the hills. During college, my sister and I would meet guys that said they wanted to hang out or spend time with us so we would invite them to come to church with us....we would never hear from them again, isn't that sad?

Now I know I'm not that old but I'm not sure what slang the teenagers are using today (I'm still using words like weak and saying things like "that food was bang" but my younger brother informs me that they say things like wavy and sauce...neither involve surfing/hair or a condiment you can put on your chicken, lol) but I was wondering if Jesus was put on a list of bad words when I wasn't paying attention because it seems like no one wants to call on Him unless they don't know how they're going to pay their bills or the in-laws are coming to visit.

I don't get it? Why is Jesus such a touchy subject? Why don't people want to follow Him? Is it a control issue? I mean I can understand that we all want to have some say over our own lives I get that and trusting someone when we can't always see the outcome is hard. Faith has never really been an easy concept for everyone, I get that, but it seems we so easily can trust man. What's up with that?

Seriously, since President Obama has been in the White House some people act like he is their saving grace. Don't get me wrong I like Obama he has this certain swag about him that I just can't put my finger on but I'm not gonna rely on one man to fix all our country's problems and he certainly isn't my saving grace. So what is it about him that people can trust and rely on him more than they can God? Is because Obama has authority? Or maybe it's because he's in such a high position of power? If that's the case God is authority and He has the highest position of power there will ever be. Or maybe it's because Obama promised change that makes people want to trust him so much. And if that's the case have you not heard of God's promises? He will neither leave you nor forsake you....never! Obama isn't going to be president forever. His term will eventually end and then what? Personally, I wanna be down with the one who has already made a change in the world and will continue to do so, not someone who's change is only temporary.

I really wish I knew why we (we meaning myself as well because sometimes I even forget to put God first) have such a hard time trusting and accepting the only one who won't judge us and love us unconditionally no matter what. Instead, we constantly seek the approval of others to tell us we're worthwhile and love us when Jesus is ready to that with no questions asked. But not sometimes the closest we get to God is when we're holding a dollar bill....you know how on the back it says "In God We Trust" but truth be told we act like it's in money we trust. Now I know times are hard, believe me I know, but when did we start letting money rule instead of God?

On top of that we act like it isn't cool to mention Him because it makes some people uncomfortable, I mean in theory everyone is cool with Jesus (i.e.- the whole Jesus is my homeboy t-shirts and whatnot) but are we really good with the Lord? Yet, it's OK to let people curse up a storm and walk around in clothes that are five times too small but mentioning Jesus is supposed to be so taboo. I'm not trying to be funny but seeing someone's stomach hanging out of their shirt or their butt cheeks hanging out makes me uncomfortable and is way worse, I'm just saying.

All I know is we need to adjust our mindsets and stop worrying about what is in or cool. You wanna know what isn't cool? Hell, literally. Now I don't about you but I don't enjoy getting burnt anywhere on my body....and if you do I'm not here to judge you I'm just going to pray for you :) but I know personally that's just not something I like so Hell is not where I'm trying to end up. All God asks is that you confess and believe in Him. That's it! You don't have to wear a certain brand of clothing, you don't even have to have a dime to your name. He will accept you as is and the way this world is going and the way people act and change on a daily basis, wouldn't it be nice to have someone you can count on 24/7 in any situation?

Don't use the holiday season to remember who's in control. We have to stop treating Jesus like He's Vegas. You know whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. It's the same concept with Jesus, whatever happens in the church, stays in the church. God's message wasn't meant to be kept to ourselves but to be spread worldwide and I hope that's what I'm doing with this blog. Remember that Jesus is the reason for the season but He is also the reason you are breathing.

I hope you all are having a very merry Christmas! Be blessed everyone :)

1 comment: